Hairstylists and barbers
National Occupation Code (NOC): 6341
Hairstylists and barbers cut and style hair and perform related services. They are employed in hairstyling or hairdressing salons, barber shops, vocational schools, health care establishments and theatre, film and television establishments.
Job Duties for Hairstylists and barbersHairstylists
- Suggest hairstyle compatible with client's physical features or determine style from client's instructions and preferences
- Cut, trim, taper, curl, wave, perm and style hair
- Apply bleach, tints, dyes or rinses to colour, frost or streak hair
- Analyze hair and scalp condition and provide basic treatment or advice on beauty care treatments for scalp and hair
- Clean and style wigs and hair pieces
- Apply hair extensions
- May shampoo and rinse hair
- May perform receptionist duties and order supplies
- May train or supervise other hairstylists, hairstylist apprentices and helpers.
- Cut and trim hair according to client's instructions or preferences
- Shave and trim beards and moustaches
- May shampoo hair and provide other hair treatment, such as waving, straightening and tinting and may also provide scalp conditioning massages
- May book appointments and order supplies
- May train and supervise other barbers and barber apprentices.
Working Conditions for Hairstylists and barbersWork is performed at an indoor hair salon or barbershop. Some safety precautions are necessary when using scissors, razors, and hair products.
Alternate Job Titles
- Barber Apprentice
- Beauty Salon Operator
- Hair Colour Technician
- Hair Dyer
- Hair-care Specialist
- Hairdresser Apprentice
- Hairstyling Specialist
- Hairstylist Apprentice
- Men's Hairdresser
- Wig Stylist
- Hair Stylists