Shoe repairers and shoemakers
National Occupation Code (NOC): 6343
Shoe repairers repair footwear and shoemakers make specialized and custom shoes and boots. They are employed in shoe repair shops or custom shoemaking establishments, or they may be self-employed.
Job Duties for Shoe repairers and shoemakersShoemakers
- Discuss type of footwear to be made and obtain measurements from customer
- Select patterns and leather or other material and outline and cut patterns
- Select or assemble lasts, fasten insoles to lasts and sew or glue other parts into place
- Trim, dress and otherwise finish boots or shoes
- Estimate custom footwear costs and receive payment from customers
- May supervise other shoemakers and shoe repairers.
- Repair soles, heels and other parts of footwear using sewing, buffing and other shoe repair machines, materials and equipment
- Repair belts, luggage, purses and similar products
- Estimate footwear repair costs and take payment.
Working Conditions for Shoe repairers and shoemakersWork is performed indoors, where care is taken to prevent injury from machinery, tools, and fumes.
Alternate Job Titles
- Boot Repairer
- Custom Shoemaker
- Orthopedic Shoe Repairman/woman
- Orthopedic Shoemaker
- Shoe Dyer
- Shoe Mender - Retail
- Shoe Repairer
- Shoe Repairer - Retail