Maîtres d’hôtel and hosts/hostesses
National Occupation Code (NOC): 6511
Maîtres d'hôtel and hosts/hostesses greet patrons and escort them to tables, and supervise and co-ordinate the activities of food and beverage servers. They are employed in restaurants, hotel dining rooms, private clubs, cocktail lounges and similar establishments.
Job Duties for Maîtres d’hôtel and hosts/hostesses
- Receive and record patrons' reservations and assign tables
- Greet patrons and escort them to tables or other seating areas
- Speak with patrons to ensure satisfaction with food and service, and attend to complaints
- Order dining room supplies and equipment
- Inspect dining and serving areas and equipment
- Supervise and co-ordinate activities of food and beverage servers and other serving staff
- Accept payment from patrons for food and beverages
- Maintain financial statements and records
- Prepare work schedules and payrolls
- Interview candidates for food and beverage server positions and train new employees
- May be responsible for marketing and advertising the dining establishment.
Working Conditions for Maîtres d’hôtel and hosts/hostessesWork is performed indoors. During rush periods, work is fast-paced and comfortable footwear is usually necessary. Workers may also find themselves in situations involving disorderly customers or guests.
Alternate Job Titles
- Chief Host/hostess – Food Services
- Dining Room Host/hostess
- Maître D'
- Restaurant Host/hostess