Financial Matters

Financial Matters2021-10-25T14:21:15-05:00

Apply for Employment Insurance (EI) immediately, even if you are in receipt of severance money!  Severance Pay and EI are different!  Severance may be received from your former place of employment whereas EI may be received from the government.

It is VERY IMPORTANT to talk with your Bank or Financial Advisor as soon as possible!

ASK to reduce mortgage and loan payments and/or consolidate your payments.  Keep in close contact with your Bank or Financial Advisor so they know your new financial situation and can be proactive rather than reactive.  RESEARCH your company pension plan!  Make sure it is fully funded.

Talk with an ACCOUNTANT!  They will advise you on the best way to deal with severance money, pension plans, etc. to reduce taxes.

Bank of Canada
Severance Pay - Ontario Ministry of Labour, Immigration, Training and Skills Development
Certified General Accountants of Ontario
Insolvency Trustee Directory
Bankruptcy - Office of the Superintendent of Bankruptcy Canada
Dealing with Debt - A Consumer's Guide
Financial Consumer Agency of Canada
Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP)
Employment Insurance (EI)
Canada Pension Plan
Go to Top